Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Applied Apophenia Blog

Against my better judgment but in deference to a dear friend, I hereby announce and christen the Applied Apophenia blog.

The name comes from an idea I've had for a while. Apophenia is a term coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad which means the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in essentially random and meaningless data. "Applied Apophenia" is my description of the fundamental problem of existing and the thing that human beings (and human consciousness) are engaged in whether they know it or not.

Applied Apophenia is the process I use to make sense of the world. I think I'm getting better at it.

Expect to see: thoughts and discussions on various topics. The occasional rant. Very little linking.

The one thing I'd like to leave you with is a bit from the Principia Discordia. Specifically, the analysis of "Starbuck's Pebbles."
Do these 5 pebbles REALLY form a pentagon?


Those biased by the Aneristic Illusion would say yes. Those biased by the Eristic Illusion would say no. Criss-cross them and it is a star.

An Illuminated Mind can see all of these, yet he does not insist that any one is really true, or that none at all is true. Stars, and pentagons, and disorder are all his creations and he may do with them as he wishes. Indeed, even so the concept of number 5.

The real reality is there, but everything you KNOW about "it" is in your mind and yours to do with as you like. Conceptualization is art, and YOU ARE THE ARTIST.

No comments: