Thursday, July 24, 2008

The subtitle.

For this post, let's break down the blog's subtitle to see what it could mean and what we might expect to see here.

"An attempt to synthesize the various,"

I've long had a suspicion that things tend to be connected more than disconnected. By this I mean that humanity has come up with many different ways of making sense of the world it sees and they are all have value to a greater or lesser extent. But they are all attempting to describe the same thing. We become more connected when we see the similarities.
"and a tribute to the mistress who makes the grass green,"
There's an old Zen koan: "Who is the master who makes the grass green?" I won't give you the answer (like there is an answer) but I will suggest that the greenness of the grass exists in the mind as much as it exists in "reality."
"while sitting atop Maslow's hierarchy of needs."
And this is the part where I accept that the only reasons I can waste my time and yours on these silly little thoughts are because I have food, a roof over my head, a beautiful woman to spend time with (including sexy time), a more or less stable job, the freedom to express, the education to enjoy, and the internet connection to clog up. Let me tell you what it's like, being male, middle class, and white.

I'll leave you with a quote from John C. Lilly, one that I have admired for some time now:
In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits.

No comments: